We hope everyone had a happy Halloween. Your kids now have an entire pail of sugary goodies. With the candy also comes the probability of melted candy stains on the car’s upholstery. We’ll show you how to remove stains from common hard candy, such as Tootsie Pops and Jolly Ranchers.
Step-by-step Process for Candy Stain Removal
The following steps apply for most car fabrics. This includes the fabric trim around the door. The steps are also applicable for home upholstery.
- Moisten the candy stain with cold water. This dissolves the sugar and loosens its hold on the upholstery.
- Use a spoon to scoop up solid pieces of candy. Do this slowly; if the candy won’t separate from the fabric, then stop and proceed no further. A professional vehicle detailing is in order.
- Wet the area with a fabric stain remover. Use a cloth and lightly dab the stain.
- Apply white vinegar over the stain using a fresh cloth.
- Wipe the stain with a moist lint-free cloth. Dry the area with a separate cloth.
How to Remove Candy Stains from the Dashboard
- Soften the candy with a blow dryer. You may need an extension cord.
- Remove any solids with a spoon.
- Wash the remaining residue with water and dish liquid.
- If the stain remains, try applying baking soda.
- If the candy contains dye, as Jolly Ranchers do, then apply an enzyme digester. Spot test the digester beforehand. While an effective dye remover, it may cause stains of its own.
- Optional: apply a dashboard protectant.
We Remove Melted Candy Stains
If stains persist, then bring your car to Henry’s Auto Detail. Our restoration process removes most stains no matter how icky. Melted candy stain removal can be part of a bigger detail that includes exterior washing and waxing.
Vehicle Interior Stain Removal
Serving Lynnwood, Edmonds, Mill Creek, Woodway and south Snohomish County